The Chocoholic Frolic

At the Chocoholic Frolic 10K

Everything came together again nicely for today’s run. I got a great night’s sleep, and because it was a late start, I didn’t have to rush out the door this morning despite the long drive to get there.

But, conditions were far from perfect, which always makes it interesting.

The good news is that it didn’t rain. Actually, that was probably the best news ever because the temperatures were hovering at just around almost unbearable for a run that could have turned out much worse. I was going to hike back to my car after I picked up my packet to drop off my coat, but I’m glad I didn’t because I needed that coat up until last minute. I found the pacer table and started chatting with them…then they offered me the space to keep my coat with their gear. I just felt very unprepared for this run for some reason. But I really shouldn’t say “unprepared”. Rather, I didn’t take it seriously. So I guess the led me to think I was unprepared. To tell you the truth, I spent most of the time wondering if I should exchange my small tech-top for a medium because it looked a bit too short. Funny how these things can occupy every corner of one’s tiny mind.

The run was around a frozen pond. I don’t think this helped the “feels like” temperature. The 5K-ers did one lap. We had to do two. And, I started out way too fast. I fell in behind the 44-minute pacer, as the next pacer was the 47-minute guy. And I waited at the start line with two friendly gals who were looking to finish faster than 45-minutes. Of course, they were both in their 30s so I quickly started to feel very out of place and questioning my 45-minute goal.

I knew immediately after I started and hit the first hill that I wouldn’t be able to keep up this pace for the entire 6-miles. But instead of scaling back, I attempted to settle in and convince myself that I could actually pull this off. But there was this other hill at mile 3. It was short-lived but as steep as three flights of stairs. I handled it well the first time, but the second time it about killed me. At mile 4.5, I developed a sharp side stitch which almost made me pull back entirely. But the 47-minute pace guy came up beside me and said, “You’re almost done. You are doing great! Don’t let me pass you!” So I sped up and refocused. But the damage was already done. He passed me with about a tenth of a mile left. And I sputtered into the finish chute.

I swear, though, that I ran this much faster than the Polar Dash. But there were hills on this run, and the wind was brutal as I headed south twice on each round. It slowed me down.

What did I learn? You really can’t compare one race time to another unless it is the same course and the same conditions. Considering the hills and the wind with this one, I need to be proud of what I accomplished. And I need to pat myself on the back for a great run. It was, after all.

And I got a medal. And a really nice shirt…and some chocolate. (And found a sweet young girl to take my photo for me in front of the sign!)

Did you run today? How did it go?

4 Responses to The Chocoholic Frolic

  1. Great recap – and, it was a thrill watching you from Runmeter, even though the updating was brutal. And I think that I need to get someone to take MY picture at my next race. How do you look so good, and I look like I was hit by a truck at the end of every race? You even match the banner!

    I can’t wait to see you soon!

  2. Raina says:

    Great job on your 10k! It is a TOUGH distance to race well. The struggle for me is usually around mile 4 when you wonder if you can hold out any longer. Hills add a new level to the difficulty-
    Well done. You earned the chocolate!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *